Friday 1 July 2011

What makes you feel settled?

I am starting to feel much more settled.  I have the keys to my own place, and I have paid my first rent.  I have not yet paid the $1000 bond, but my landlady is ok to wait until I have drawn sufficient cash. 


I have opened a bank account and have arranged a transfer of a shedload of money to maintain me for the year.  However, the bank cards take a week to be issued, so I'm still waiting for them.  And as I did not have a permanent address when I opened the account, the cards will be sent to the Westbank branch at the University.  In the UK I had put money on a cash passport, but as a mature student going into off-campus accommodation, I did not put enough money on it.  I brought £200 - c$300 - in cash (fine) and £800 c$1200 on the cash passport (not enough).  People who live off-campus - typically mature students - will pay $500 per fortnight rent, and also need to provide $1000 bond money which is lodged with the Australian Government and is security for the letting.  So the amount I brought with me was sufficient for students living on-campus as it is cheaper.  But mature students usually like life a bit quieter than on-campus, so we have to look big and pay up! 

So I need to be economical until I get my bank cards!

The flat is very clean, light and airy - it is actually a granny flat to the side of the main house.  But I was quite surprised how much more settled I felt once I had unpacked, put my things on view, and bought some food and filled the cupboards.  Life is good.  I'm off out now, trialling more bus routes, and university facilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment