Saturday 4 June 2011

I think I've got everything booked!

It's been a busy day.  I've done all the remaining paperwork to arrange my trip to Curtin University, Perth.  The credit card took a hammering!

I discovered travellers cheques are rarely used now.  I was given a "cash passport" - a prepaid currency card, loaded with money.   Just shows how long since I've done any real travelling!  And even longer since I travelled alone!  I think my last long journey alone was to Springfield, Missouri via Detroit in 2008.

I've been online to confirm my details are correct on VEVO (Visa Entitlement Verification Online).  I then spent a fair amount of time identifying a suitable flight for me, booked and paid for it.  I set up a frequent flyer account (well, you never know what benefits might accrue, despite my cynicism for these things).  I printed my e-ticket.  I booked and paid for my temporary accommodation.  I booked my Airport Reception.  Having done all of this, I read the notes of Airport Reception and discovered it is available from 13-29 June, at times of peak incoming students.  I now wonder whether I should have arranged to travel earlier in order to arrange a letting, but it's too late now.  I just hope that because I will be seeking off campus accommodation, probably at the higher end of the market, there will be plenty left. I spent most of the morning reading all the background information. It is slightly annoying that this is the only piece of information that I did not read in detail before I started all the bookings.   But I'm sure it will all be ok. 

I have set up a file with all my useful information:

Study Abroad pack from Herts - my module choices; Herts insurance cover; my insurance cover; confirmation of arrival and attendance; key contacts at Herts
Optician prescription (in case I break my glasses abroad!)
Spare passport size photos
Curtin "Start Preparing" pack
Copy of academic reference
Copy of personal reference (for landlord)
Copies of recent UK bank statements (for landlord)
Letter of Offer
Confirmation of Enrolment
Copy of passport - personal details page
Copy of Visa application form.
Copy of VEVO
Frequent Flyer membership
Qantas ticket
Temporary hotel booking confirmation
Airport Reception Booking form
Aus$ cash and prepaid currency card
Passport

I'm sure other ideas will occur to me tonight, of things I need to do before I go, but in the meantime, I'm going to relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment