Saturday 4 June 2011

Progress with my visa

I have had a very successful couple of days. 

Yesterday, I received my Confirmation of Enrolment from Curtin University.  Tanya, the administrator, seems very hot at her job and gets everything turned round quickly and effectively - always right first time.  So I immediately leapt onto the computer to apply for my visa.  I discovered that as my visa came in to Level 1 category, it would take 2 weeks to process, rather than the 3 weeks previously advised.  I filled in the form and sent it off, and prepared to wait! 

Then, as I had done all I could, I focussed on the rest of my day.  As I was going to London to see Jersey Boys at the Prince Edward theatre with my friend Lisa, I decided to leave early and pop in to see some of my former staff at Canning Town.  I met up with quite a few staff, and had a lovely chat.  But I am convinced I made the right decision to take severance, and move on with my life.

Jersey Boys was a wonderful show.  It's the story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons.  I'm not really musical but I recognised all the songs, even if I had not known previously who the group was!  One part I particularly liked was where they were playing on the Ed Sullivan show, and the actors were being filmed by the Ed Sullivan cameras, and this was played real time on the video screens on the stage.  It was an exact reproduction of the vintage footage of the Ed Sullivan show.  Lisa liked the bit where the audience view the stage from behind, so you are dazzled by the stage lights.  Very interesting use of stage work. A lovely evening out.

I got in after midnight, and logged on to e-mail to see whether Jim had sent me anything from his travels.  And lo and behold, there was an e-mail from the Australian visa service, confirming my visa was granted!  In less than 24 hours!  How good is that!  So I've printed off the details. Everything to do with the visa is electronically processed, so you don't get a label to stick in your passport.  It will automatically be identified each time your passport is scanned.  But I think I will keep a copy of the visa details with me anyway. 

The only minor hitch is when I tried to view the electronic visa details using on-line verification, the Australian visa computer service is down for updating until later today.  But I can wait.  Hmmm.  In the meantime, do I book my flight before actually seeing the details on the computer?  I really want to book my flight.  But is this wise?  I have the e-mail confirmation....  Maybe I'll check flight availability, then check the on-line verification to see if it's back online, then book!

Life is just so exciting!

Yippee!  I think I'm on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment