Wednesday 24 August 2011

An early morning walk to the tip of Salter Point

I did not sleep well last night, and was all anxious about the Visual Inquiry assessment next week.  So Jim suggested we went for a walk to the tip of Salter Point, where there is a little nature reserve.  A lady walking her dog said the dolphin was fishing down by the yacht club, and the pelicans were there too.  But we continued on our way to the nature reserve.  As we approached the point, there was a commotion about 20 yards away on the water.  It was about 8 pelicans.  And then we saw the dolphin arching through the water - it was definitely chasing something, and the pelicans were benefitting from the defensive actions of the fish.  It was a lovely sight.  We watched them for about 15 minutes and I tried to capture them on camera.  I also decided to take as many photos as I could of any sort of pattern I could see, particularly in plants, to add to my visual diary.
The pelicans are not taking off or landing, but about to surface dive to catch fish
Jim standing at the very tip of Salter Point nature reserve


My best shot of the dolphin, in very shallow water at Salter Point
When we walked home, I decided to start on my concept board for Pattern & Meaning.  I decided to print some of my own photos of various plants, and surprisingly, the printing of the pictures went well.  On this basis I decided to print the pattern making homework I had done yesterday, as I often have problems with printing and when all is going well, is the best time to get it done.  I spent most of the morning printing pattern, changed all the ink cartridges (expensive!) because I used so much ink, and then stuck the prints into my visual diary.  And oddly, once I'd done this (ie not the concept board) I felt a lot better about the amount of work still outstanding for both Pattern & Meaning, and Visual Inquiry.  I think this is because I have actually wrapped up one piece of work.  So I don't have to worry about it any more. 

I do wish I did not worry as much.  At my age, you'd think I would have grown out of it by now!

No comments:

Post a Comment