Sunday 21 August 2011

I'm using the best quality sketchbook

My friend Lisa gave me a moleskein sketchbook to start me on my artistic journey in Aus.  Interestingly, yesterday I was looking at Linda Kemshall's website.  I did my distance learning C&G Creative Sketchbooks course with her company a couple of years ago.  They have now revamped the course, and provide a small set of art materials as part of the course now.  A sketchbook is part of the package - and looking closely, I'm sure the brand they use is  Moleskein.  Linda states on her website that they have trialled many different types of sketchbook, and this one has good quality paper that will handle most media really well.  She says the sketchbooks (A5 and A4) are quite heavy (mine certainly is). 

So Lisa, looks like you chose the best sketchbook!

Yesterday I was a good student.  I had lots of homework - catching up on 4 sets artwork from previous classes, reading and art homework for Visual Inquiry on Monday, and pattern making  and concept board for Wednesday.  I really wanted to do the pattern making, so I can expose my new silkscreen on Monday.  But I was disciplined.  I did one set of catch-up (drawing knots, and developing pattern) then did the reading and internet search for Visual Inquiry.  I made scones in time for Jim coming home from his bike ride.  I cooked dinner and while he washed up I did my artwork for Visual Inquiry.  The theme was to create a pattern that represented a ritual in your life.  I was sitting knitting, while Jim washed up.  For us this is a ritual.  Jim never cooks, and I (almost) never wash up.  And I love knitting.  So the pattern I created had turquoise C shapes in rows, representing the finger movement of knitting, then rows of green and yellow motifs, representing the green/yellow scourer/sponge of Jim's washing up.  The first green/yellow row had lots of little circles representing the bubbles of foam, then a row of knitting with the Cs going the other way.  Then a green/yellow row of scratchy lines (scouring scorched pans), then a row of knitting, then a green/yellow row of diagonal lines and spots representing Jim rinsing the plates.  And several more rows of knitting because I knit for some time after he has finished washing up.

I hope the tutor likes it. I'm getting quite used to having my work harshly criticised.  But I feel virtuous this morning because I've done the homework that was essential, and now I can do the homework that is fun!

I'd like to spend more time drawing plants, to really get to know them.  But I'm running as fast as I can just keeping up with the workload.  I'd like to have a bigger library of images in my lovely Moleskein, but will just have to get on with what I've got and use my tuition free week to draw more plants.  Oh well, time for less moaning, more pattern making!

No comments:

Post a Comment