Friday 8 July 2011

It's official - Perth is an expensive city

It was on the news this morning - Perth is the 4th most expensive city in the world.  I was wondering if it was just me being hypersensitive about prices, as I am now a student, and have given up work after 30 years continuous employment.  But the news article confirmed my view - things cost a lot here.  I bought a cup of tea at university this morning (filled my water bottle at home, but forgot to bring it!) and a medium cup of tea is $4.10.  About 3 pounds sterling. (No pound key on university computer!). 

I had a conversation at the bus stop last night with some muslim students.  I asked whether there was a minimum wage here - and they thought it was about $16 per hour.  This would convert to about 11 pounds sterling, which is a lot more than the UK minimum wage, which I think is about 7 pounds.  I'm not up-to-date here, so if anyone knows, please let me know.  So it gives some perspective on how much things cost, although I'm not aware of average weekly wages here. 

Yesterday I was seeking a swimming pool.  I went back with Cali and Jodie to their house, and we looked at the swimming pool just around the corner from them.  Lovely pool.  50m(!) outdoor pool, all lane swimming - which was heated (I felt it) but was not giving off steam on a cold evening!  And an indoor 25m pool with lane swimming, and leisure pool for children.  But the journey home was not good.  I waited 15 minutes for the 98 circle bus, then got to the bus station with 8 minutes to my 30 bus.  This did not show and it is a 30 minute wait.  (And we've just been told not to wait at the bus stop in the dark!).  But there was a group of young muslim girls and we had a chat.  And then, about 20 minutes later (ie not to timetable) the 30 bus turned up and off I went home.  So had I taken the advice and waited at a university building, arriving a minute or two before the bus was due, I'd have missed the bus.  So all in all, it took about an hour to get home.  So this swimming pool won't suit me, because of travelling time. 

I have been told there are lots of pools with this level of facility, so I need to work my way around swimming pools by internet to find one. 

I'm off on a day trip now, to Fremantle.  Speak later.

No comments:

Post a Comment