Monday 18 July 2011

My Hero arrived in Perth

On Saturday my main plan was to meet up with Jim. He was arriving on the train at East Perth at 0930.  I set off early at 8am to meet him.  I took the bus to Perth bus station, walked to the train station and asked which platform for East Perth.  I was then told there were engineering works (sounds like London, except this time I am the customer, not the staff) and had  to walk back to the bus station for the replacement bus.  This took us 2 stops to the railway, then one stop on the train. 

A couple of minutes after I got there, the cross country train arrived, and I saw Jim peering out of the window, looking anxiously for me.  It was a delight to see him again - he'd lost a lot of weight since I last saw him on 1 May - very lean and mean.  It was so wonderful for us to be back together.  He said he had had the benefit of a free upgrade to a cabin every night, so many thanks to whoever it was looking after Jim!

One of the first things we did was to get Jim a Smartrider card.  My bus fares as a tertiary student are heavily discounted and we were interested to see how much Jim's fares would be.  Unfortunately although he is 73 and old enough to be a senior, as he is not an Australian citizen, he is not entitled to the seniors rate.  So his fares seem to be about $2.10 compared to my 60/85 cents (weekday/weekend) rate.  But it is still a lot cheaper than in the UK.  I think a bus fare (outside London) to our local town is #3.50 single, (c$5) for a non-concession fare.  However, Jim is determined that he will do most of our food shopping by travelling by bike, and using his panniers - ie for free!.

No comments:

Post a Comment